Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Which one should I choose, Plurk or Twitter?

As a continuation from my last post on microblogging, I've set out to test out the effectiveness of both tools. My goal is to figure out the best microblogging tool that I can incorporate in my future ESL classroom.

Layout- At first glance, I really like Twitter's simplicity with easy to understand layout. As for Plurk, it took me some time to get used to the timeline and it wasn't until I watched Mr. Peachey's video that I figured out how to drag the timeline and reply to other plurks. I also didn't understand the idea behind 'karma' whereas everything on Twitter was pretty self-explanatory.

Sharing - Unless I've missed something, I've realized that I could not share file, link or video using Twitter. On the other hand, Plurk allow users to share video, link and pictures whenever they're 'plurking' on their own site. What's more, Plurk will automatically changed the video or picture link to a thumbnail size so that other plurkers can have one-click access to them without having to leave the original site.

Privacy - I think both tools offer good privacy setting. Twitter has an option for taking the use off the 'Public Timeline' which basically means only your allowed users see your updates. Similarly, Plurk also allow users to choose who can search for him/her and who can see his/her updates. An additional plus for Plurk is that users can make one or some plurks private without actually changing the privacy setting for the entire profile.

Although I've just getting started with microblogging, I would choose to incorporate both tools in my classroom. I believe Twitter would serve as a great introduction to microblogging but I will slowly ease my students to using Plurk. I think with proper guidance and support, my students will benefit from both tools.


Until next time...

3 comments:

Maryanne said...

Ann,
You did a very good comparison of the tools and I'm glad that you feel both have their strengths for use in the classroom.
Dr. Burgos

J Jackson said...

Hey Ann,

I agree with your observation of Twitter being simple to read. I like Plurk's ability to share videos, I think that will help to draw students in and get them using microblogging more often. I think we'll get the hang of it with practice and have some fun along the way!!!

Jackie

Humberto Loma said...

I found Plurk to be cumbersome...I did enjoy the horizontal layout, but , I was not use to the different look and someone more adapt in blogging may like it. Twitter was cool but not as visually appealling. I like the use of text messaging. I think it would valuable for an older group of students to continue discussions outside of a class. Plurk maybe good for a younger group of students who enjoy the visual features of plurk.

October 13, 2008 1:57 PM