Wednesday, September 10, 2008

How can we practice Connectivism through Social Networking?

After reading George Siemens' learning theory on Connectivism, I've realized that one of the best way to practice that theory is by doing what we all do best, social-networking. I've found some social-networking websites that might be useful to ESL/EFL teachers and learners.

http://www.englishbaby.com/
English Baby! is a fun and useful networking site for those who wish to learn or improve their English language proficiency. The website also provide English lessons through videos or on-line postings. Members can also create their own lessons right on the site and post it for others to view. Members can create profiles and find friends from different parts of the world to chat or practice the language with. Signing up for this site is free though you get to enjoy more benefits by becoming a Super Member! I didn't really check to see how well monitored this website is in terms of contents so I'll definitely suggest introducing this to students with proper guidance.

http://eslresources.ning.com/
ESL/EFL Resources is another networking website I came across while browsing using www.ning.com. Although the site indicates only 4 members so far, I was drawn in by the amount of information and resources available on the home page of this site. I immediately became a member so that I can have access to materials such as game activities and many ESL/EFL internet links provided by the author. In order to access this site, you'll need to sign up to become a member.

Hope you find these useful and feel free to let me know of any current/active ESL/EFL social networking websites that you have come across.

Until next time...

2 comments:

Maryanne said...

Ann,

I'm glad that you found such useful networking sites.

Dr. Burgos

J Jackson said...

Hi Ann:

I felt your experience in Malaysia was familiar to traditional learning styles in America.
When I was young, I was only used to the teacher spitting out facts and us memorizing them like robots! It definately is difficult to transition out of that
mode because that's how we learned and we figured hey we turned out great, let's teach others the same way. Then we get our first student teaching placement
and we find out we have to actually interact with students. It was such a shock to me!!!

I really like your analogy about learners as vending purchasers! You're right, people pick and chose
what they want to learn based on their own perceptions of reality, decision making changes from day to day and in this modern world we are bombarded with so much information. We have no choice
but to sort through what stands out or what is comfortable.

I couldn't imagine being in the situation that you described with the vending machines, in a foreign country searching to translate between currency and locating specific machines since
we all have certain preferences for food and clothing. Like students who struggle with a new concept, I'm sure I would get frustrated from not being able to fill my needs.

After reading this article and your synopsis of learning, I will definately consider some of the complications that students face in learning. I know I get confused when I find out contradictory information,
I can now more accurately empathize with my students!

Oh I love the Graphic!!!

Jackie