Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Can microblogging be used for teaching ESL/EFL learners?

While in the midst of trying out my new Twitter and Plurk account, I can't seem to stop thinking about the different ways of utilizing microblogging in a ESL/EFL classroom. Since I am still new to this, I've decided to look for more information online.

While browsing around, I came across a very informational blog post by Mr. Nik Peachey. In his post, Mr. Peachey mentioned that he conducted a Twitter vs. Plurk competition. After 6 weeks of trying out the two microblogging tools, Mr. Peachey went on to crown Plurk as the winner between the two. He also provided a video clip to further explain the reason behind his decision. Additionally, Mr. Peachey suggested ways for ESL/EFL teachers to help their students by using Plurk. Some of the suggestions that I found useful were creating sentences for students to correct, sending out words and asking students for responds, sending images to students for description and also creating a collaborative story with students. I also like the fact that Mr. Peachey included suggestions for students to use Plurk as part of their learning process.

After reading Mr. Peachey's post, I have no doubt in my mind that using microblogging tool such as Plurk can definitely enhanced the language learning process for my ESL/EFL students. However, I think it's important to keep in mind some of the privacy/spam issues that Mr. Peachey's mentioned in his post when using microblogging tool. Nonetheless, I am glad to have read up on some interesting ways on using microblogging with my future ESL students.

Until next time...

1 comment:

Maryanne said...

Ann,
I'm so glad that you found Nik Peachey's post. All of his posts are soooo useful because he tells you specifically what he liked and what he didn'ts. I hope that you continue to follow his posts.
Dr. Burgos